Gifted & Talented
We believe that gifts and exceptional talents…
- Can be found in the areas of academics, creativity, performing and visual arts, and leadership.
- Are found in students with special needs
- Can be found in students of all cultures, ethnicities, genders, and socio-economic status.
- Should be identified and developed.
- Must be nurtured in both social development and emotional well being.
It is the Mission of Durango School District 9-R’s Gifted Education program to promote the potential of gifted students through challenging and meaningful learning experiences so that the students become responsible problem solvers and offer meaningful contributions to the 21st century.
It is our vision to provide the following learning opportunities for our gifted and talented learners:
- To provide an environment that cultivates and encourages intellectual and creative abilities.
- To provide students with instruction in the regular curriculum and acceleration according to the students interests and learning style.
- To develop a realistic self-concept which allows the student to realize and acknowledge their own and others skills and talents.
- To provide a classroom environment in which students can freely and willingly communicate with their intellectual peers and teachers.
- To provide the opportunity, structure, and expectation which will increasingly encourage constructive independence and self-sufficiency.
BOCES Gifted Services
Durango School District 9-R works closely with the San Juan Board of Cooperative Services to provide gifted services for our students.
District at a Glance
- Students: approx 4,500
- Teachers: 294
- 12 Years Avg Experience
- 61% with Master's Degree
- Support Staff: 193
- 7 Elementary Schools
- 2 Middle Schools
- 2 High Schools
- Area Served: 1,039 sq miles
The mission of Durango School District 9-R, an innovative educational system committed to excellence, is to ensure each student develops the skills and attributes for lifelong learning and has the ability to compete and contribute in the global community, by guaranteeing equitable educational opportunities in a safe and healthy environment.